This is an off-site copy of the corresponding Product report page on the SearchTools.com website, and it is designed to allow you to comment on the product and/or the reporting. For more information about the topic of search and tools visit SearchTools.com where you can browse many articles, in-depth analysis and overviews of external resources.
InMagic DB/Text Spider
Note: earlier products were created in partnership with Lycos, current products are independent.
Platform: Windows NT 4
- Crawls intranet and related servers at scheduled times.
- Easy to install and maintain.
- Indexes HTML, text and office productivity files such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat PDF.
- Recognizes metadata, Dublin Core fields, even in repeated tags.
- Java interface has Word Wheel index browser.
- Customized search results views.
Articles & Reviews
Gatherer and Classifier Released June 10, 2002
InMagic announces a partnership with TopicalNet to integrate classification with the content management and search engine.
- Internal Search
Engines Get You Where You Want To Go TechWeb October 15, 1997 by
Good, thorough coverage of AltaVista eXtension 97, Folio siteDirector 3.1, Ultraseek 1.1, Inmagic/Lycos, DB/Text Intranet Spider, ISYS:Web 2.0, Maxum Phantom 2.0; Microsoft Index Server 3.0, Netscape Compass 3.0, Quadralay WebWorks Search 2.0, Verity IntelliServe 1.0, freeWAIS 0.3, WebGlimpse 4.0B1 and SWISH 1.1.
Intranet Spider pulls your intranet together InfoWorld, August 18,
1997, Steven W. Litras
Review covers the features and benefits of the program and recommends it.