This is an off-site copy of the corresponding Product report page on the SearchTools.com website, and it is designed to allow you to comment on the product and/or the reporting. For more information about the topic of search and tools visit SearchTools.com where you can browse many articles, in-depth analysis and overviews of external resources.
Price: approx. $20,000 per server (web version)
Platform: Windows NT, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP
- March 2002:
- .asp (Active Server Pages) version for integration with Microsoft IIS server
- Indexes HTML, XML, PDF and over 125 file formats including Microsoft Office 2000 (Word, Excel, Outlook Express and MSG files), WordPerfect 9, Lotus WordPro and AutoCAD DWG.
- Indexes databases via ODBC and ISYS APIs, Lotus Notes, ACT! and Oracle natively.
- Indexes Microsoft Exchange shared folders.
- Indexes FTP repositories.
- Language support includes multi-byte characters and Unicode; English, French, German, Spanish Portuguese, Italian, Cyrillic Russian, Thai, Bahasa, Greek, Hebrew, Turkish, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese and Arabic.
- Robot spider is very configurable, with controls for specific areas of sites and scheduling
- Can run on multiple servers
- Tracks permissions & security levels using NT, Novell and custom authorization schemes
- Tracks billing information for pay-per-view publishers
- Synonyms and fuzzy matching search
- Built-in synonym list (thesaurus)
- Converts pages to HTML and highlights search term matches
Reviews and Articles
- Jacobs Engineering
Group, Inc. Managing Business Development Information with ISYS ISYS
PR, Spring 2002
Describes experience of an international professional technical services company, which chose ISYS:web for their intranet over other products. Features important to the company include NT security, dynamic HTML conversion and index update scheduling. Used for a variety of tasks within the company, including searching received resumes and project descriptions. Search will be expanded to proposals, presentations and support documents.
- ISYS white paper: Law
firm Domnitz, Mawicke & Goisman uses ISYS:web
- ISYS white paper Federal
Bureau of Prisons saves millions with ISYS:web.
- Information Retrieval with
Isys Desktop 5.0: Of Needles and Haystacks LLRX.com March 1, 2000 by
Paul E. Merrell
Describes the desktop version of Isys, with many of the same features as the web search version.
Spins Power Searches eWeek, May 9, 1999 by Jim Rapoza
Quickly compares Isys search suite, including the then newly-released Spider module, with other site search engines.
5.0: Delivering Searchable Document Sets to the Web Federal Computer
Week, May 4, 1998 by Patrick Marshall
Review of Isys:web with descriptions of old and new features, overview of installation and design options. Rating: "Excellent".
for intranet: PC Week Labs tells how vendors revamp search engines PCWEEK,
August 11, 1997 by Jim Rapoza
Describes web site search engine products which are aimed at intranets rather than public sites using search agents, expanded capacity and web publishing of legacy data. Covers Netscape Compass Server 3.0, Verity IntelliServ, AltaVista Search Intranet Extension '97 and Odyssey Isys:web.
Native-Format Indexing, Converts documents to HTML, but best features require
coding PC WEEK Jim Rapoza May 12, 1997
Describes Isys:web features such as file conversion to HTML, "concepts" (pre-made searches on specific topics), automatic update, database ODBC access, system configuration, security, Boolean operators and natural-language queries, results, viewing converted files in HTML or downloading in original format. The results formatting required high-level HTML coding, however.