This is an off-site copy of the corresponding Product report page on the SearchTools.com website, and it is designed to allow you to comment on the product and/or the reporting. For more information about the topic of search and tools visit SearchTools.com where you can browse many articles, in-depth analysis and overviews of external resources.
Platforms: Windows NT (for local server); any Internet-accessible site
(for remote server)
Price (Service per month): 1 - 1,000 pages: $450; for more pages, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Price (Product): 1 - 1,000 pages: $6,200; for more pages contact email@example.com
- October 2002: security
- New version removes a vulnerability which displayed content of files in cgi directory.
- Version 4.4, March 2002
- Unicode text storage
- Support for 25 more languages, default pages for Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese (traditional & simplified), Korean, Russian; configurable for Albanian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Esperanto, Estonian, Greek, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Polish, Romanian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Thai, and Vietnamese.
- User Authentication with Microsoft Content Management Server using ASP / Active X, will only display results the end-user is allowed to see.
- Search Headers: show graphics and text for specified search terms.
- Indexes text in Macromedia Flash files.
- Additional relevance ranking control.
- Site-specific icons, such as lock image for password-protected areas.
- Powerful application that handles up to several hundred thousand pages
- Granular indexing control, including per-host settings, user name and password, and form button links.
- GrabMap shows the structure of the site as indexed
- Indexing and searching PDF and Microsoft Office (Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint) files, Lotus Notes and Vignette, close integration with Microsoft Content Management Server
- Recognizes text and displays search pages in 12 European languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Portuguese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Finnish.
- Stemming based on linguistic algorithms for each language.
- Any/All/phrase searching, wildcard support in queries (left truncation)
- Phonetic (sound-alike) matching for typing and spelling mistakes
- Synonym search, and BehaviorMatch shows suggested alternative terms (synonyms)
- Options to specify recommended pages or jump to the main page from the query.
- Displays results organized into categories, allows searching within categories
- Opens pages from results list in in frame context
- Recommended page rankings using a special meta tag.
- Can emphasize recent documents, which are often the most useful
- Highlighting search terms in pages opened from results listings.
- SearchNames skips search results and goes directly to a specific page.
- Optional XML output format.
- Helpful search log reports such as top queries in recent time periods.
Articles and Reviews
- Unpuzzling Search:
Best Practices from MondoSoft Study
IDC Bulletin, August 2002 by Susan Feldman Leading search analyst Susan
Feldman describes common problems with search engines and Mondosoft's approach.
The company performed extensive research on 57 million search sessions using
their own software, with success defined as a click on one of the top ten
results, an average of 59%. They found that user are willing to try again
(an average of 1.56 queries per session) but that the queries are very short,
52% were only one word, and only 5% of users checked the second page of search
results. 22% of the searches produced no results at all, mainly because there
was a mismatch between the search topic and the site contents, while 75% of
the questions used one of the top 100 search terms. Recommendations include
using categories to put results in context, adding synonyms and spelling options;
adding content, titles, dates, authors and descriptions; providing manual
recommendations; track user behavior with searches and sessions.
Search Technologies: MondoSoft MondoSearch with Behavior Tracking
CRN (Computer Reseller News) Test Center, May 7 2002 by Mario Morejon
Describes the new activity tracking for user search sessions, from individual hits and misses to summary reports. Describes the categorization as cumbersome but accurate. The search engine has a simple synonym listing. The crawler is easy to use, and has many useful features, including language recognition and common file formats. See also the overview In Search Of The Enterprise which has an analysis and reseller information.
- Web Marketing Association 2001 Award
"Standard of Excellence" December 4, 2001
the last time, we're not an ASP! When the three letters can imply bad news,
a software firm searches for a better ID Sm@artPartner, March 2 2001
by Fred Aun
Describes MondoSearch switching from direct sales to channel partners.
Integrated with Microsoft Commerce Server press release
Microsoft has chosen MondoSearch as the first search engine recommended for Commerce Server.
- Stemming 'Search and
Split' Real Estate Online, July 21 2000 by Jeff Linnell
Looking at site searching for real estate web sites -- recommends MondoSearch for results categorization features.
- SearchTools Review of Remote
Search Services September 27, 1999 (updated October 2, 2000) by Avi
Thorough discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of using remote search services, how well their indexing robots handle standards and links, search and relevance ranking features, search features, results customization, maintenance and reporting.