This is an off-site copy of the corresponding Product report page on the SearchTools.com website, and it is designed to allow you to comment on the product and/or the reporting. For more information about the topic of search and tools visit SearchTools.com where you can browse many articles, in-depth analysis and overviews of external resources.
Oracle Text, Ultra Search and interMedia Search
Text Product Information - full text search engine
Ultra Search Product Information - adds web search UI, remote crawler, searching multiple indexes
interMedia Product Information
- manage and search multimedia content
Price: apparently included with Oracle 9i
Platforms: Unix: Solaris, Linux; Windows: NT, 2000, etc.
- Closely integrated with Oracle database structures, spanning multiple text columns.
- Indexes content from the database, file system, web via URL or programmatic source.
- Indexes text from over 150 file formats including HTML, XML, PDF, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Multilingual, including English, Dutch, French, Spanish, German, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese and character sets ASCII, UTF-8, JA165JIS, GBK, BIG5.
- Integrated security and access control with database rules.
- Catalog indexes designed for short text and numeric data retrieval, updated automatically.
- SQL queries include operators such as "near".
- Supports Boolean queries.
- XPath query commands and XML nested and attribute value search.
- Options to query with wildcards and substrings (must be set in index).
- Query with distance setting, in same sentence or paragraph
- Phonetic (sound-alike) matching, fuzzy matching, stemming.
- Options for synonyms and more complex thesaurus functions.
- Editable stopword list.
- Search on specified punctuation.
- Relevance ranking for results, based on TF-IDF and theme weighting.
- User or system can adjust some relevance aspects.
- Retrieval tested at TREC with good results.
- Shows HTML version of source files with search terms highlighted.
- Search admin uses Oracle Enterprise Manager.
- Automatic classification, filtering, clustering, and personalization options.
- Text mining to extract themes and gists from indexed documents.
- Scales using replication, synchronization, partitioning and parallelism.
Oracle Ultra Search
- Built on Oracle Text
- Robot crawler can follow links on external web sites.
- Gathers data from multiple Oracle databases.
- Indexes IMAP email servers.
- Integrates with Oracle 9iAS Enterprise Portal Framework as a "portlet".
- Provides a turnkey web-style search interface with the Oracle HTTP server.
- Automatically translates Internet Query Operators (plus, minus, quotes) to SQL.
- API to integrate with web pages and applications.
- Provides metadata search for tagged or database fields.
Oracle interMedia Search
- multimedia asset management
- previously included text search
- offers search for audio and video content
WebAssist QueryBuilder is an object extension for Macromedia Dreamweaver Ultradev that provides a wizard to create complex search and result pages.
Articles & Reviews
ULTRA SEARCH: Sophisticated Mining with Oracle Text Oracle
Magazine, May 2002 by Douglas Scherer
Presents Text and Ultra Search as a core component of document management. Describes how Ultra Search can combine multiple source times into a single searchable index. Helpful explanation of how it's all put together, covering the most important options of the configuration.
Warehousing and Content Management: ETL Meets Content Management DM
Review Online, October 2001 by Dan Sullivan
Describes the many ways to use the new Oracle Ultra Search to deal with the information assets of an organization.
file storage to site wide search Ars Digita Bulletin Board; October
11, 2001 by Michael Bryzek
Useful advice for indexing non-text binary files. Also describes situations in which interMedia indexes get corrupted.
- Providing Site-wide Full-Text
Search with Oracle interMedia Ars Digita Systems Journal, September
8, 2000 by Michael Bryzek
Technical description of the process used to implement interMedia, synchronizing tables, merging columns, updating data, creating and updating indexes