This is an off-site copy of the corresponding Product report page on the SearchTools.com website, and it is designed to allow you to comment on the product and/or the reporting. For more information about the topic of search and tools visit SearchTools.com where you can browse many articles, in-depth analysis and overviews of external resources.
mnoGoSearch (formerly UdmSearch)
Platforms: Linux, FreeBSD, SunOS, Solaris, BSDI, OpenBSD, HP-UX, Digital
Unix, SCO Unixware, AIX, SGI Irix, YellowDog Linux, Mac OS X and other Unix
systems; Windows 98, NT and 2000
Prices: free, GNU GPL, open source in C (Unix version)
$90 for Windows Lite version (to 3,000 pages)
$299 for Windows Pro version
The name is pronounced "mno-go-search", and the word "mnogo" means "many" in Russian (the project was part of the Mnogo.ru portal).
- Uses a SQL database back end instead of an inverted index, supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, miniSQL, Solid, InterBase, Oracle, Sybase and MS SQL using CT-Lib, EasySoft ODBC, iODBC, and unixODBC
- Mirroring and search clustering server options.
- Indexes FTP, NNTP (Usenet news), HTTP proxy servers as well as web pages
- Automatic language and character-set detection, can recognize multiple single-byte character sets in a document
- Supports many character sets including UTF8, Chinese (BIG5 and GB2312), Korean (EUC-KR), Japanese (Shift-JIS), some disabled by default.
- External file format converts for PDF, PostScript, Microsoft Word .doc, etc.
- Uncompresses gzip, compress and deflate formats.
- Indexes keywords, description and user-defined META tags
- Can include password authorization
- Indexing can specify weighting for page structures
- Queries can include Boolean operators, options for stemming, synonyms and substrings.
- Includes ispell spellchecker.
- Results match highlighting.
- Includes front-end systems in PHP, CGI and Perl
- User-editable HTML templates for search results
- Performs query tracking for later analysis
- Windows version
- Includes a graphical interface to the indexer, but is not free
- Lite version (to 3,000 documents) can use a built-in database.
- Windows Pro version now features a Windows NT Service interface for scheduling indexing.
- Configuration Wizard
- Improved help system
- Search Engines: The Hunt Is
On Network Computing Magazine: October 16, 2000 by Avi Rappoport
In-depth discussion of search engines for e-commerce and other web sites covers features and future trends, software vs. services, database vs. text searching, natural-language searching, and open-source search engines covering ht://Dig and mnoGoSearch.
- mySQL - database engine site using the PHP wrapper
- Debian Linux
- Resiver - French patio door catalog
- Iowa State Legislature
- Online-Media in Switzerland (in German)
- Eclectic International - headhunter and recruitment site
- Republic of Udmurtia - a low-profile Russian republic east of Moscow