This is an off-site copy of the corresponding Product report page on the SearchTools.com website, and it is designed to allow you to comment on the product and/or the reporting. For more information about the topic of search and tools visit SearchTools.com where you can browse many articles, in-depth analysis and overviews of external resources.
Platforms: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux in beta test
Price: $999 for unlimited concurrent use on a single server, $2,500 for 3-server package
Also available as a code library and CD-ROM indexer
- Windows GUI administration interface.
- Uses the Windows Task Scheduler.
- Simple configuration to connect to IIS web server via ASP and ISAPI
- Spider for web site robot indexing comes with all versions of the software
- Also indexes local file systems and mounted servers.
- Can include based on URL path and exclude based on file type extension
- Can exclude text between <!--BeginNoIndex--> and <!--EndNoIndex--> tags.
- Incremental index updates.
- Supports French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese (Brazilian/European), Finnish and Norwegian
- Unicode support, including Arabic
- Indexes and searches nested XML fields
- ODBC interface to databases
- Indexes HTML, Outlook email directories, PDF, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, Microsoft Access, PowerPoint, RTF, ZIP archives and XML.
- Supports multiple indexes, each containing 4 to 8 gigabytes of text
- Search type option for forms, selecting among"All words", "Any words", "Exact phrase", and "Boolean" search types
- Searching using phrases, Boolean operators, Natural-Language queries, fuzzy logic, stemming and phonetic matches.
- Can search specified fields and meta tags.
- Advanced search interface lists search zones, query options, fuzziness, number of results and sorting options.
- Default search result page show results in side frame.
- Match word highlighting in search results
- Can display web pages and office documents in browser with match words marked.
- Extensive customization, including ASP integration
- Customizable logging of search requests.
- Distributed search version, FindPlus, available
- API supports Java JNI, C++, Visual C++, Visual Basic, .NET, and Delphi
- Used by PDF WebSearch
- Demo download available
- Company has been in business since 1991.
Articles & Reviews
Search Technologies: dtSearch CRN (Computer Reseller News) Test Center,
May 7 2002 by Mario Morejon
Describes the whole line of dtSearch products. The dtSearch Index manager can recognize many current and legacy file formats. The search engine itself offers Boolean, natural-language, stemming, synonyms and fuzzy matching, and a thesaurus. APIs are available for Visual Basic, ActiveX, C, C++, and Java. Praises the documentation for detailed explanations of parameters and examples. The spider has limited controls, mainly for depth of search. The Web Search engine uses the same internal code, and displays results quickly. Converting to HTML for Web viewing is slow. See also the overview In Search Of The Enterprise which has an analysis and reseller information.
Selects dtSearch to Help Power Its World Medical Library press release,
March 14, 2001
- Web Digital Publishing Goes dtSearch with PDF WebSearch dtSearch Case Study