This is an off-site copy of the corresponding Product report page on the SearchTools.com website, and it is designed to allow you to comment on the product and/or the reporting. For more information about the topic of search and tools visit SearchTools.com where you can browse many articles, in-depth analysis and overviews of external resources.
Price: Free (up to 10,000 pages, 10,000 hits per day), $700 up to 20,000 pages; $2,500 up to 50,000 pages; $5,800 up to 200,000 pages and 25,000 hits per day.
- Solaris SPARC, x86
- Linux 2.2 and 2.4
- Windows NT, 2000 and XP
- FreeBSD 4, DEC Alpha Unix 4, Compaq Tru64, HP UX 10, IBM AIX 4.3, Mac OS X
See also Thunderstone Texis (enterprise-quality web publishing system based on a SQL-RDMS)
- Search Appliance
- 1u rack-mountable server
- Indexes up to 500,000 pages, high-end version will index 1,000,000 pages
- Handles 1,000 queries per second
- Software pre-configured, no installation required
- Allows an unlimited number of separate search collections
- Includes Webinator search features
- Version 4.2 (September 2002)
- Support for SSL and HTTPS, ftp, and proxy authentication in all versions.
- Version 4 (December 2001)
- Web-based administration using standard browsers
- View and delete URLs from the index
- Supports cookies, meta robots tags, iframe
- PDF version 4 and 5 indexing on all platforms (paid versions only)
- Search by date and limit by category
- Unique feature: "Remove common" will not index text that's the same on two or more documents, so that the index does not store navigation text before or after the content text.
- Index multiple sites using one or many indexes.
- Detailed index logging and reports.
- Update indexes while searching.
- Master.com version and paid versions index Acrobat PDF, WordPerfect and MS Word documents and over 100 other file formats.
- Details of link problems in long report
- Zone searching (called "categories") based on URL paths
- Very configurable result page layout using HTML
- Automatic categorization tool available.
Articles, Links and Reviews
Search Technologies: Thunderstone TEXIS
CRN (Computer Reseller News)Test Center, May 7 2002 by Mario Morejon
Describes the special features of Webinator/Texis including handling dynamic data with frequent changes. Integration between the relational database and search indexes keep search in sync with the content for high-traffic sites such as Ebay and Alibris. Extensions to SQL for searching including Boolean and natural language operators, fuzzy logic and relevancy ranking. Documentation was extensive enough to for installation with little effort. See also the overview In Search Of The Enterprise which has an analysis and reseller information.
- SearchTools Review of Remote
Search Services September 27, 1999 (updated October 2, 2000) by Avi
Thorough discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of using remote search services, how well their indexing robots handle standards and links, search and relevance ranking features, search features, results customization, maintenance and reporting.
- Webinator in Latvia